Canadians spend billions of dollars on skin care products each year. Most people are using at least one skin care product each day (cleanser, moisturizer, serum, eczema balm, etc.). But, a lot of these people aren't paying attention to the ingredients in these products.
If you're using conventional skin care products, you could be doing more harm than good to your skin - and overall health. To avoid potential issues, you may want to start using natural, organic skin care products from a company like Province Apothecary.
Not sure if these products are really better than other mainstream products? Keep reading to find out why you should consider making the switch. Everything you need to know about the benefits of natural, organic skin care is explained below.
Fewer Irritants and Dangerous Ingredients
Your skin is your body's largest organ, and it absorbs everything you put on it. You're very particular about what you eat - why wouldn't you be equally careful with what your body absorbs through your skin?
Conventional skin care products contain a slew of irritating and potentially dangerous ingredients.
Ingredients to Avoid
Some of the most problematic ingredients you might find in conventional products include:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (linked to skin irritation, canker sores, eye damage, and acne)
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole (potential carcinogen linked to liver damage, reproductive system disruption, and thyroid issues)
- Triclosan and triclocarban (linked to hormonal disruption, impaired immune system function, and increased allergy symptoms)
- Parabens (possible endocrine disruptors which have been linked to reproductive disorders and developmental disorders)
- "Fragrance" (a catch-all term referring to any number of harmful chemicals, many of which are potential hormone disruptors)
Don't want to expose yourself to these harmful ingredients? Organic skin care products are free from them. Instead, they're made with safe, natural ingredients like essential oils and plant extracts.
Many of the active ingredients in natural skin care products have been used for centuries to soothe and nourish the skin.
Most Effective Natural Ingredients
The following are some of the most well-known natural skin care ingredients which are often included in these products:
- Coconut oil (a great moisturizer and cleanser with natural antibiotic properties)
- Tea tree oil (reduces redness, inflammation, and breakouts)
- Raw honey (natural antimicrobial reducing breakouts, minimizes rashes and redness, and reduces the appearance of scars)
- Sea salt (an effective exfoliant rich in minerals that balance the skin and help it retain its moisture)
- Aloe vera (natural antibacterial that can minimize redness, inflammation, and irritation)
- Jojoba oil (another great moisturizer like the oils naturally produced by the skin)
- Almond oil (a great carrier oil with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic properties)
- Shea butter (a nourishing moisturizer which can be used to treat rashes, dryness, and acne)
These natural ingredients do an excellent job of healing the skin and providing it with the nutrient it needs to look and feel great. Why rely on dangerous synthetic compounds when nature has provided us with these highly effective ingredients?
Slow Down the Aging Process
When you use conventional skin care products regularly, they can often do more harm than good.
The ingredients can be drying and damaging. They may also lead to breakouts, wrinkles, fine lines, and other issues. This is even true of some products claiming to be anti-aging.
Instead of loading your skin up with toxins, why not use natural, organic products made with ingredients which can help your skin look brighter and more youthful? Many of the natural ingredients in the above list will help heal your skin without being overly harsh or drying it out.
How to Choose Natural Skin Care Products
Okay, you're convinced natural, organic skin care is the way to go. But, how do you sift through all the different products out there to find the ones which are the most effective?
Pay Attention to the Terminology
Lots of brands throw out terms like "natural" or "clean." These terms are largely unregulated, and it's easy for brands to use them even if their products are not, in fact, natural or clean.
Look for organic products whenever you can. The term organic is more strictly regulated in Canada, and companies can only use it if their products meet a certain set of standards.
Some potential toxins can still sneak through in products selling as organic. But, looking for an organic label is still a good place to start.
Read the Label
Because some ingredients can still be included in a product even if it's labeled as organic, it's also important to read the label. Pay attention to the ingredients and avoid anything containing potentially harmful substances.
Be especially careful about products which list "fragrance" as an ingredient. Remember, "fragrance" is a catch-all term.
Manufacturers do not have to be specific about what kinds of chemicals they're using to add scent to their products. "Fragrance" could mean just about anything.
Stick to Short, Easy-to-Read Ingredients Lists
Finally, as with food, the fewer ingredients included in a skin care product, the better.
Have you ever looked at the label on a conventional product? It's typically paragraphs-long, and you practically need a Ph.D. to be able to pronounce the ingredients.
When you're shopping for natural, organic skin care products, look for items that have a short ingredients list. It should also contain ingredients you can easily recognize and pronounce.
It can be intimidating when you first start shopping for safer skin care products. But, with a little detective work, you can easily sort through all the products out there to find options that are good for you and your skin.
Try Province Apothecary Products Today
As you can see, there are lots of reasons to make organic products from Province Apothecary a staple in your skincare routine. If you're ready to invest in safe, better-for-you skin care products, head to our online store today.
We have a wide range of creams, cleansers, masks, serums, and other great items you can use to keep your skin fresh, clean, and healthy all year round!